2019年10月16日水曜日

JAPOHR scholarship student letter. Dr Joy Part 1


One Step at a Time: Early Thoughts on My Nagasaki University Experience
Maria Glofezita O. Lagayan, DVM
October 15, 2019

“Ganbatte!” This phrase is also known as “Do your best!” in the English language, and was one of the words used by my friends when they found out I was accepted in Japan to pursue my graduate studies. I learned later that Ganbatte is not just a word to say good luck, congratulations, or best wishes, but a word dearly loved by the Japanese people because it denotes the idea of never giving up even in the face of adversity. Today, I am very blessed to have been accepted in Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA-SATREPS) long time training program course (International Health Development Course – MPH) under “The Project for the Establishment of the One Health Prevention and Treatment Network Model for Elimination of Rabies in the Philippines.” During this time, I would like to apply the same mindset of “Ganbatte” and push towards the goal of completing my studies despite the long distance away from my family, the hard work associated with the study, and all challenges that may come my way.




Nagasaki City is truly a long way from home. Upon my arrival, I was fascinated by the city’s crisp, clean and serene environment surrounded by green mountains lined with modern and traditional houses; charming trams passing through the middle of busy roads alongside cars and buses operated by very polite drivers; and people of all ages strolling on the seemingly endless rows of walkways, up and down the wide but steep pathways and stairs of the city. I sometimes wonder, is this all for real? How did I get here? If I blink or sleep, will I still be in this surreal place? One thing I know for sure, I am ever grateful for both JICA and the Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Animal Industry for this opportunity! It is such an honour to be learning from field experts of public and global health of Nagasaki University; to take this knowledge home with me to the Philippines to apply and share it with the rest of my colleagues so we can improve our animal health programs, especially rabies; and simultaneously enjoy Japanese culture and food whilst learning. In my short three weeks of stay here, I have already met a bunch of wonderful, dynamic and kind-hearted people – my professors who made me better appreciate epidemiology and statistics in a level that I can really understand; classmates of different race and background, with their own uniqueness and vulnerabilities; university staff that is ever patient and helpful; and most importantly the small group of Filipinos who have welcomed me openly without reservations. In all of these, I believe this is just the start of a new beginning. Every step I take in and out, up and down the winding steps of the city road going to and from the University are hopefully akin to the same step I will make in the completion of my goals – slowly, surely, patiently, with prayers, and unceasingly... one step at a time.




0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿